Professor/Assoc Director for Graduate Programs
My research is focused on the regulation of xylem and phloem differentiation and function with an emphasis on the genomics of wood formation.
- Plant developmental biology
- Ph.D. University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1990
- M.S. University of Delaware, 1985
- B.S. University of Delaware, 1981
- BIO/HORT 2304: Plant Biology
- PPWS/HORT 5524: Advanced Plant Physiology & Metabolism I
- Rigoulot, S.B., H.E. Petzold, S.P. Williams, A.M. Brunner E.P. Beers, 2019. Populus trichocarpa clade A PP2C protein phosphatases: their stress-induced expression patterns, interactions in core abscisic acid signaling, and potential for regulation of growth and development. Plant Mol. Biol. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11103-019-00861-7
- Petzold, H.E., B. Chanda, C. Zhao, S.B. Rigoulot, E.P. Beers, A.M. Brunner, 2018. DIVARICATA AND RADIALIS INTERACTING FACTOR (DRIF) also interacts with WOX and KNOX proteins associated with wood formation in Populus trichocarpa. Plant J. 93(6):1076-1087. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/tpj.13831
- Petzold, H.E., S.B. Rigoulot, C. Zhao, B. Chanda, X. Sheng, M. Zhao, X. Jia, A.W. Dickerman, E.P. Beers, A.M. Brunner, 2017. Identification of new protein–protein and protein–DNA interactions linked with wood formation in Populus trichocarpa. Tree Physiol. 38:362-377. https://academic.oup.com/treephys/article-abstract/38/3/362/4430193?redirectedFrom=fulltext
- Zhao, C., T. Lasses, L. Bako, D. Kong, B. Zhao, B. Chanda, A. Bombarely, A. Cruz-Ramírez, B. Scheres, A.M. Brunner, E.P. Beers, 2017. XYLEM NAC DOMAIN1, an angiosperm NAC transcription factor, inhibits xylem differentiation through conserved motifs that interact with RETINOBLASTOMA-RELATED. New Phytol. 216: 76-89. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com.ezproxy.lib.vt.edu/doi/10.1111/nph.14704/full
- Khandaker, M.D.S.K., D.M. Dudek, E.P. Beers, D.A. Dillard, 2017. Expression, crosslinking, and developing modulus master curves of recombinant resilin. J. Mech. Behav. Biomed. Mater. 69:385-394.
- Khandaker, M.D.S.K., D.M. Dudek, E.P. Beers, D.A. Dillard, D.R. Bevan, 2016. Molecular modeling of the elastomeric properties of repeating units and building blocks of resilin, a disordered elastic protein. J. Mech. Behav. Biomed. Mater. 61:110-121.
- Jervis, J., S.B. Hildreth, X. Sheng, E.P. Beers, A.M. Brunner, R.F. Helm, 2015. A metabolomic assessment of NAC154 transcription factor overexpression in field grown poplar stem wood. Phytochemistry. 115:112-120.
- Jia, X., B. Chanda, M. Zhao, A.M. Brunner, E.P. Beers, 2015. Instability of the Arabidopsis mutant csn5a-2 caused by epigenetic modification of intronic T-DNA. Plant Sci. 238:53-63.
- Liu, L., M. Zinkgraf, H.E. Petzold, E.P. Beers, V. Filkov, A. Groover, 2014. The Populus ARBORKNOX1 homeodomain transcription factor regulates woody growth through binding to evolutionarily conserved target genes of diverse function. New Phytol. 205: 682-694. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/nph.13151/full
- Zhao, C., E.P. Beers, 2013. Alternative splicing of Myb-related genes MYR1 and MYR2 may modulate activities through changes in dimerization, localization, or protein folding. Plant Signal. & Behav. 8: http://dx.doi.org/10.4161/psb.27325
- Xia, R., B.C. Meyers, Z. Liu, E.P. Beers, S. Ye, Z. Liu, 2013. MicroRNA superfamilies descended from miR390 and their roles in secondary small interfering RNA biogenesis in eudicots. Plant Cell 25: 1555-1572. http://dx.doi.org/10.1105/tpc.113.110957
- Petzold, H.E., M. Zhao, E.P. Beers, 2012. Expression and functions of proteases in vascular tissues. Physiol. Plant. 145:121-129. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1399-3054.2011.01538.x/full
- Xia, R., H. Zhu, Y.W. An, E.P. Beers, Z. Liu, 2012. Apple miRNAs and tasiRNAs with novel regulatory networks. Genome Biol. 13:R47.
- van Doorn, W.G., E.P. Beers, J.L. Dangl, et al. (19 authors), 2011. Morphological classification of plant cell deaths. Cell Death Differ. 18: 1241-1246. http://www.nature.com/cdd/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/cdd201136a.html
- Zhu, H., C.D. Dardick, E.P. Beers, A.M. Callahan, R. Xia, R. Yuan, 2011. Transcriptomics of shading-induced and NAA-induced abscission in apple (Malus domesica) reveals a shared pathway involving reduced photosynthesis, alterations in carbohydrate transport and signaling and hormone crosstalk. BMC Plant Biol. 11: 138. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2229/11/138
- Zhao, C., A. Hanada, S. Yamaguchi, Y. Kamiya, E.P. Beers, 2011. The Arabidopsis Myb genes MYR1 and MYR2 are redundant negative regulators of flowering time under decreased light intensity. Plant J. 66:502-515.
- Brunner, A.M., E.P Beers, 2010. Transcription factors in poplar growth and development. In Poplar. Eds. C.P. Joshi and S. DiFazio. In the series: Genomics of Industrial Crop Plants, Series Ed. C. Kole. Science Publishers, Enfield, NH. pp. 192-230. http://www.crcnetbase.com/doi/abs/10.1201/b10819-9
- Grant, E.H., T. Fujino, E.P. Beers, A.M. Brunner, 2010. Characterization of NAC domain transcription factors implicated in control of vascular cell differentiation in Arabidopsis and Populus. Planta 232: 337-352. http://www.springerlink.com/content/438337727g1ll638/
- Avci, U., H.E. Petzold, I.O. Ismail, E.P. Beers, C.H. Haigler, 2008. Cysteine proteases XCP1 and XCP2 aid micro-autolysis within the intact central vacuole during xylogenesis in Arabidopsis roots. Plant J. 56: 303-315. http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-313X.2008.03592.x
- Zhao, C., U. Avci, E. Grant, C.H. Haigler, E.P. Beers, 2008. XND1, a member of the NAC domain family in Arabidopsis thaliana, negatively regulates lignocellulose synthesis and programmed cell death in xylem. Plant J. 53: 425-436. http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-313X.2007.03350.x
- Ko, J., E.P. Beers, K. Han, 2006. Global comparative transcriptome analysis identifies gene network regulating secondary xylem development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Molec. Gen. Genom. 276: 517-531. http://www.springerlink.com/content/y764837361j5154v/fulltext.html
- Zhao, C., J.C. Craig, H.E. Petzold, A.W. Dickerman, E.P. Beers, 2005. The xylem and phloem transcriptomes from secondary tissues of the Arabidopsis root-hypocotyl. Plant Physiol. 138: 803-818. www.plantphysiol.org/cgi/doi/10.1104/pp.105.060202
- Beers, E.P., J.M. McDowell, 2001. Regulation and execution of programmed cell death in response to pathogens, stress and developmental cues. Curr. Opin. Plant Biol. 4: 561-567. http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1016/S1369-5266(00)00216-8
- Zhao, C., B.J. Johnson, B. Kositsup, E.P. Beers, 2000. Exploiting secondary growth in Arabidopsis: construction of xylem and bark cDNA libraries and cloning of three xylem endopeptidases. Plant Physiol. 123: 1185-1196. http://www.plantphysiol.org/cgi/content/abstract/123/3/1185.