Lina Rodriguez Salamanca
- Plant Disease Clinic Manager and Diagnostician
I have a three-way appointment in the School of Plant and Environmental Sciences Plant Disease Clinic, 60% clinic manager and diagnostician, 32% teaching, 8% Extension and Service.
I manage the Plant Disease Clinic, I’m responsible for administering the laboratory and daily operation and collaborating on projects related to Diagnostics. I diagnose plant problems from samples submitted to the clinic, report results, and provide disease management recommendations to clients to promote informed decisions, prevention, and risk mitigation.
I prepare and deliver educational curricula on plant disease and problem diagnosis to various audiences and stakeholders (growers, master gardeners, and extension agents). I maintain the VT Plant Problem Image Gallery as a disease diagnostic resource and promote its use as a monitoring tool.
I teach Plant Problem Diagnostics (PPWS 4154/5154) fall semester and the second class (TBD) in the spring semester.
- Plant Pathology
- Plant health and Integrated pest management
- Ph.D. Plant Pathology, Michigan State University, 2013
- M.S. Plant Pathology, Michigan State University, 2010
- B.Sc. Microbiology, Universidad de Los Andes, 2005
- Plant Problem Diagnostics (PPWS 4154/5154)
Instructor, Diagnostician, and manager | 2022-Present
Plant Disease Clinic
School of Plant and Environmental Sciences
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Plant Pathologist and Diagnostician | 2015-2022
Plant and Insect Diagnostic Clinic
Plant Pathology Department
Iowa State University
Commercial Vegetable Crops Educator | 2012-2015
Michigan State University Extension
- 2021 Iowa State University Extension Team Pivot award COVID-19 Exceptional Efforts Award.
- 2020 Iowa State University Professional and Scientific CYtation Award.
- 2019 NPDN outstanding Serice Award
Google Scholar https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=RL4SdzUAAAAJ
A Diagnostic Guide for Red Crown Rot of Soybean https://doi.org/10.1094/PHP-04-22-0041-DG
Rose Rosette Disease: A Diagnostic Guide https://doi.org/10.1094/PHP-05-22-0047-DG
Iles, L. C., Fulladolsa, A. C., Smart, A., Bonkowski, J., Creswell, T., Harmon, C., Hammerschmidt, R., Hirch, R., and Rodriguez Salamanca, L. 2021. Everything Is Faster: How Do Land-Grant University-Based Plant Diagnostic Laboratories Keep Up with a Rapidly Changing World. Annual Review of Phytopathology 59:333-349. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-phyto-020620-102557
- NPDN Protocols and Validation Committee (Co-chair 2019-2022), APS Diagnostics committee, APS virology committee, APS Diseases of Ornamental Plants, APS Emerging Diseases and Pathogens Committee.
- Former member of the NPDN Regulatory Relations Committee, NPDN Professional Development Committee and NPDN Training and Education Committee
- Plant Health Progress Senior editor (focused on Diagnostic Guide) 2021- current
- Plant Disease Note(first report) assigning editor 2016-2018