I have a two-way appointment in the School of Plant and Environmental Sciences covering 70% research and 30% teaching. The foundation of my research program has been about understanding negative human impact on water and soil quality and strategies to remediate the negative impact. Within SPES, I currently teach two senior level courses and one graduate level course, all of which focusing on water quality.
- Environmental organic chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Wastewater treatment
- Ph.D., Soil Chemistry, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1997
- M.S., Soil Chemistry, Louisiana State University, 1993
- B.S., Soil Chemistry, Beijing Agricultural University, 1989
My environmental organic chemistry program at Virginia Tech includes establishment of interdisciplinary research projects that link basic and applied research while involving collaborators within and outside of VT nationally and internationally. Specific focus areas of my research program are:
- Occurrence, fate, and impact of emerging contaminants and pesticides in soil and water systems;
- Novel analytical methods for organic contaminant detection in complex environmental samples;
- Biogeochemistry of organic carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus; and
- Remediation technologies for organic contaminants in wastewater, biosolids, animal manure, and soil.
- ENSC/CSES 4314: Water Quality (lecture)
- ENSC 4414: Monitoring and Analysis of the Environment (Lab)
- ENSC 5314: Water Quality for Professionals (online lecture)
Professor | 2016 - Present
Crop and Soil Environmental Sciences
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Associate Professor | 2011 - 2016
Crop and Soil Environmental Sciences
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Associate Professor | 2010 - 2011
Department of Chemistry
Mississippi State University
Director | 2006 - 2011
Research Division and Industrial and Agricultural Services Division Mississippi State Chemical Laboratory
Assistant Professor | 2006 - 2010
Department of Chemistry
Mississippi State University
Assistant Professor | 2002 - 2005
Department of Plant and Soil Sciences
University of Georgia
Assistant Professor | 1998 – 2001
Department of Agronomy
Kansas State University
Postdoctoral Researcher | 1997 - 1998
Soil Science Department
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Excellence in Basic Research Award. Virginia Tech College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, 2019
- Rist, C (PI), K. Xia (co-PI), R. Schuerch (co-PI), and D. Pfeiffer (co-PI). “Health economics and environmental health work packages of Broad One Health Endectocide-based Malaria Intervention In Africa (BOHEMIA)”. UNITAID. $1,404,474 (The Virginia Tech grant is part of a $25.3 million grant awarded by UNITAID). 3/1/2019 – 2/28/2023.
- Steward, R (PI), K. Xia (co-PI), T. Roulston (co-PI). “Sustainable management of neonicotinoid seed coatings: reducing flows from fields while avoiding ecological traps”. USDA-NIFA. $496,000. Jan 2018-Dec 2020.
- Pruden, A. (PI), H. Lenwood (co-PI), L. Q. Zhang (co-PI), K. Knowlton (co-PI), K. Xia (co-PI). “Developing Computational Tools to Identify Critical Control Points for Mitigating the Spread of Antibiotic Resistance in Agro-ecosystem” USDA-NIFA. $1,200,000. May 2017 – May 2021.
- K. Xia (PI), R. Maguire (co-PI), H. Gall (co-PI), P. Kleinman (co-PI), M. A. Williams (co-PI), S. Hodges (co-PI). “Can Manure Land Application Practices Designed for Best Nutrient Management Reduce the Flow of Antimicrobial Resistance Elements in Agro‐ecosystems and Enhance Overall Ecosystem Services?” USDA-NIFA. $480,000. April 2017 – April 2021.
- Vinod, L. (PI), R. Dymond (co-PI), K. Xia (co-PI), F. Benfield (co-PI), C. Carey (co-PI), M. Schreiber (co-PI). “Enhancing Student Learning in Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering via High Frequency Real Time Environmental Data Acquisition”. NSF-REU. $512,013. July 2017-June 2019.
- Vinod, L. (PI), R. Dymond (co-PI), K. Xia (co-PI), F. Benfield (co-PI), C. Carey (co-PI), M. Schreiber (co-PI). “RET Site:Water ECubeG (Engineering, Ecology, Environment, Geosciences”. NSF-RET. $600,000. July 2017-June 2019.
- A. Pruden (PI), K. Knowlton (co-PI), K. Xia (co-PI), M. A. Ponder (co-PI), W. C. Hession (co-PI), L. H. Krometis (co-PI), T. Archibald (co-PI), and A. D. Vallotton (co-PI). “Identification and Management of Critical Control Points in the Spread of Antibiotic Resistance from Animal Manure to Raw Produce” USDA-NIFA. $2,250,000. January 2015 – December 2017.
- K. Xia (PI), R. Maguire (co-PI), K. Knowlton (co-PI), L. A. Krometis (co-PI), and A. Pruden (co-PI). “Analytical Capacity Enhancement to Support and Expend Research Activities of USDA-Funded and Other Federally Funded Projects on Environmental Fate and Impact of Emerging Contaminants” Virginia Tech ICTAS Grant Matching Program. $45,000. July 1 2014 – June 30 2015.
- K. Xia (PI), R. Maguire (co-PI), K. Knowlton (co-PI). “Fate of Chemicals of Emerging Concern in Agroecosystems Amended with Animal Manure Using Novel Manure Land Management Technologies: Impact of Multi-scale Soil Processes” USDA-NIFA. $485,000. August 1 2013 – Aug 31 2017.
- Knowlton, K. (PI), A. Pruden (co-PI), R. Maguire (co-PI), H. Zhang (co-PI), J. A. Ogejo (co-PI), K. Xia (co-PI). “Preventing Antibiotic Resistance Spread From Cattle Manure” USDA-NIFA. $499,434. August 1 2013 – July 31 2016.
- K. Xia (PI), K. Knowlton (co-PI), R. Maguire (co-PI), and L. A. Kromatis (co-PI). “Acquisition of a LC/MS/MS for Studies of Effective Use of Antibiotics to Enhance Animal Nutrition and Minimize Negative Environmental Impact” Virginia Tech Pratt Equipment Fund. $200,000. March 1, 2013 – June 30 2013.
- K. Knowlton (PI), K. Xia (co-PI), R Maguire (co-PI), and J. F. Currin (co-PI). “Antibiotic excretion by livestock and subsequent runoff from cropland: contributors to antibiotic resistance” Virginia Tech CALS Integrated Grants Program. $45,000. March 1, 2013 – June 30, 2014.
- Brian D. Badgley (PI), W. C. Hession (co-PI), L. A. Kromatis (co-PI), K. Xia (co-PI). “Impacts of Urbanization and Extreme Weather Events on Resuspension of Sediment-associated Contaminants in a Stream Ecosystem” Virginia Tech CALS Integrated Grants Program. $38,000. March 1, 2013 – June 30, 2014.
- A. Pruden (PI), Cully Hession (co-PI), K. Knowlton (co-PI), L. A. Krometis (co-PI), and K. Xia (co-PI). “StREAM Lab Examination of Critical Watershed Processes Governing Dissemination of Agricultural Sources of Antibiotic Resistance”. Virginia Tech ICTAS Seed Grant. $74,863. July 1 2012 – June 30 2013.
- William, M. (PI), and K. Xia (co-PI). “Peptide/Protein Stabilization and C and N Sequestration in Soil: What Are the Contributions of Mineralogy and Biota in Native and Agro-managed Soils?” USDA-NIFA. $496,077. December 1, 2011 – June 30 2015.
- Xia, K. (PI). “Analysis of Seafood from Areas Affected by the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Disaster. Gulf States Marine Fisheries Commission” $418,760. April 1, 2011-September 30, 2015.
- Xia, K. (PI). Gulf Oil Spill RAPID MRI Proposal: Acquisition of a GC/MS/MS and an ASE for Supporting Monitoring and Biological Research Programs for the Ecosystems Affected by the Oil Spill. NSF. $189,491. August 15 2010 – July 31, 2011.
- Xia, K. (PI), M. A. Williams. “Unraveling at Micro- and Macro-scale the Mineral Surface Reactions of Amino Acids and Small Peptides Using Phage Display Technology Coupled with Synchrotron-Based Spectroscopy”. NSF Geobiology and Low Temperature Geochemistry Program. $200,028. July 01 2010 – June 30 2013.
- Xia, K. (PI), K. Armbrust, and M. Crenshaw. “The Occurrence and Fate of Sex Hormones and Their Conjugates in Animal Waste and Soil and Aquatic Environments”. USDA-AFRI, Water and Watersheds Program. $398,821. Dec 01 2009 – Nov 30 2012.
- Xia, K. (PI) “Chemical Analysis of Bat Tissue for Pesticides in Support of White-Nose Syndrome Investigation”. U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. $24,000. May 05 2009 – Dec. 31 2009.
- Xia, K. (PI), and K. Armbrust. “Analytical Services for Environmental, Priority Pollutant, Hazardous Constituent, Water Quality, and Waste Samples”. Mississippi Department of Quality. $600,000. July 01 2009 – June 30 2014.
- Xia, K. (PI) "Analysis of environmental samples for organic contaminants at trace levels". U.S. Geological Survey. $388,873. May 05 2008 – May 05 2013.
- Xia, K. (PI), Paul Brignac, and Kevin Armbrust “Analysis of Organic Contaminants in Fishes and Sediments Impacted by the Restoration Efforts in the Yazoo River Basin, Mississippi”. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. $62,400. Sept 25 2007 – Sept 03 2008.
- Xia, K. (PI), K. Armbrust. “EPA/MDAC/BPI equipment grant”. Mississippi Bureau of Plant Industry. $41,600. Sept 15 2008 – Sept 30 2008.
- Xia, K. (PI), and Kevin Armbrust. “Occurrence and Fate of Selected Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products in Biosolids and Biosolids-Applied Soils in Solano County, California” Department of Resource Management of Solano County, California. $25,000. January 1 2006 – November 15 2006.
- Xia, K. (PI), and Kevin Armbrust. “Endocrine Disruption in Coastal Flatfish Proposed Study Plan for Phase II” Southern California Coastal Water Research Project, California. $36,000. October 1 2006 – September 30 2007.
- Xia, K. (PI), and M. A. Williams. “Metabolomic Assessment of Microorganisms’ Biological Responses to Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)”, UGA Faculty Research Grant. $8,500, January 2005 – December 2005.
- Miguel Cabrera, K. Xia(co-PI), and D. Franklin. “Laboratory and field investigations of the processes affecting phosphorus speciation and dynamics in grasslands fertilized with animal manures”, USDA Soil Processes Program. $308,000, September 15 2003 – August 14 2007.
- Xia, K. (PI) “Effect of Soil Structure on the Fate of Explosive Contaminants”, UGA Faculty Research Grant. $8,500, January 2002 – December 2003.
- Xia, K. (PI) “Shimadzu LC/MS equipment grant”, Shimadzu Scientific Instruments, Inc. $55,000, awarded May 8 2002.
- Xia, K. (PI), and C.W. Rice. Assessing Absorption and Uptake of Ethylene Dibromide (EDB) in Mature Cranberry Fruit and Plants. U.S. DOD. $227,694. September 1998 – November 2001.
- Larive, C.K., W.R. Carper, W.R., A. Bhandari, and K. Xia (co-PI). The Role of Natural Organic Material in the Disposition and Binding of Atrazine in Soils. U.S. EPA-EPSCoR. $296,825. July 1999 – June 2001.
- Xia, K. (PI), and A. Bhandari. The Occurrence of Endocrine Disruptors (Alkylphenol Polyethoxylates) in Kansas Surface Waters. Kansas Center for Agricultural Resources and the Environment. $10,000. July 2000 – June 2001.
- Starrett, S., S. Thien, K. Xia (co-PI), and A. Bhandari. Fate of Pesticides and Their Partitioning Among Water, Soil, and Biomass Elements in a Turfgrass Ecosystem. U.S. Golf Course Association. $90,000. February 2001 – January 2004.
- Yang, B. C. Qin, X. J. Hu, K. Xia, C. Lu, F. O. Guddaa, Z. Ma, Y. Z. Gao. 2019. Enzymatic degradation of extracellular DNA exposed to chlorpyrifos and chlorpyrifos-methyl in an aqueous system. Environ. Intern. 132:105087.
- Chen, C. Q., C. A. Pankow, M. Oh, L. S. Heathc, L.Q. Zhang, P. Du, K. Xia*, and A. Pruden*. 2019. Effect of antibiotic use and composting on antibiotic resistance gene abundance and resistome risks of soils receiving manure-derived amendments. Environmental International. 128:233-243.
- Qin, C., C. Shang, and K. Xia. 2019. Removal of 17β-estradiol from secondary wastewater treatment plant effluent using Fe3+-saturated montmorillonite. Chemosphere. 224:480-486.
- Radolinski, J., J.X. Wu, K. Xia, W. C. Hession, and R. D. Stewarta. 2019. Plants mediate precipitation-driven transport of a neonicotinoid pesticide. Chemosphere. 222:445-452.
- Qin, C. L. Li, K. Kikkeri, M. Agah, and K. Xia. 2019. Deactivation of E. coli in water using Fe3+-saturated montmorillonite impregnated filter paper. Sci. Total Environ. 652:643–650.
- Moon, J, L. Ma, K. Xia, and M.A. Williams. 2019. Consistent proteinaceous organic matter partitioning into mineral and organic soil fractions during pedogenesis in diverse ecosystems. Biogeochemistry. 142:117–135.
- Wang, J. K. Xia, M. G. Waigi, Y. Gao, E. S. Odinga, W. Ling, J. Liu. 2018. Application of biochar to soils may result in plant contamination and human cancer risk due to exposure of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons Environmental International. 121:169–177.
- Chen, C. Q., G. K. Guron, A. Pruden, M. Ponder, Pang. Du, and K. Xia*. 2018. Antibiotics and antibiotic resistance genes in bulk and rhizosphere soils subject to manure amendment and vegetable cultivation. J. Environ. Qual. 47:1318-1326.
- Le, H. T. V., R. O. Maguire, and K. Xia*. 2018. Method of dairy manure application and time before rainfall affects antibiotics in surface runoff. J. Environ. Qual. 47:1310-1317.
- Wind, L., L. H. Krometis, W. C. Hession, C. Q. Chen, P. Du, K. Jacobs, K. Xia, and Amy Pruden. 2018. Fate of Pirlimycin and Antibiotic-Resistant Fecal Coliforms in Field Plots Amended with Dairy Manure or Compost during Vegetable Cultivation. J. Environ. Qual. 47:436-444.
- Oh, M.; A. Pruden, C. Q. Chen, L. Heath, K. Xia, and L. Q. Zhang. 2018. MetaCompare: A computational pipeline for prioritizing environmental resistome risk. FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 94, 2018, fiy079. doi: 10.1093/femsec/fiy079.
- Garner, E., C. Q. Chen, K. Xia, J. Bowers, D. M. Engalthaler, J. McLain, M. A. Edwards, A. Pruden. 2018. Metagenomic characterization of antibiotic resistance genes in four full-scale reclaimed water distribution systems and corresponding potable systems. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2018, 52, 6113−6125.
- Qin, C. W. Zhang, B. Yang, X.W. Chen, K. Xia, Y. Z. Gao. 2018. DNA facilitates sorption of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons on montmorillonites. Environ. Sci. Technol. 52:2694-2703.
- Chen, C. Q., P. Ray, K. F. Knowlton, A. Pruden, and K. Xia*. 2018. Effect of composting and soil type on dissipation of veterinary antibiotics in land-applied manures. Chemosphere. 196:270-279.
- Qin, C., C. Q., Chen, C. Shang, and K. Xia*. 2017. Fe3+-Saturated Montmorillonite Effectively Deactivates Microorganisms in Wastewater. Sci. Total Environ. 622-623:88-95.
- Radolinski, J., J. X. Wu, K. Xia, and R. Stewart. 2017. Transport of a Neonicotinoid Pesticide, Thiamethoxam, from Artificial Seed Coatings. Sci. Total Environ. 618:561-568.
- Chen, C. Q., and K. Xia*. 2017. Fate of Land Applied Emerging Organic Contaminants in Waste Materials. Curr. Pollution Rep. 3:38-54.
- Ray, P*, C.Q. Chen, K. F. Knowlton, A. Pruden, and K. Xia. 2017. Fate and effect of antibiotics in beef and dairy manure during static and turned composting. J. Environ. Qual. 46:45-54.
- Moon, J., L. Ma, K. Xia, and M. A. Williams. 2016. Plant-Microbial and mineral contributions to amino acid and protein organic matter accumulation during 4000 years of pedogenesis. Soil Biology Biochem. 100:42-50.
- Gunatilake, S. R., V. K. Munasinghe, R. Ranaweera, T. E. Mlsna, and K. Xia. 2016. Recent advancements in analytical methods for the determination of steroidal estrogen residues in environmental and food matrices. Anal. Methods. 2016, 8, 5556–5568.
- Kulesza, S. B., R. O. Maguire*, K. Xia*, J. Cushman, K. F. Knowlton, and P. Ray. 2016. Impact of manure injection on pirlimycin transport in surface runoff. J. Environ. Qual. 45:511–518.
- Qin, C., D. Troya, C. Shang, S. Hildreth, R. Helm, and K. Xia*. 2015. Surface Catalyzed Oxidative Oligomerization of 17β-estradiol by Fe3+-Saturated Montmorillonite. Environ. Sci. Technol. 49:956–964.
- Ray, P., K.F. Knowlton, C. Shang, and K. Xia. 2014. Method development and validation: solid phase extraction (SPE)-ultra performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (UPLC-MS/MS) quantification of pirlimycin in bovine feces and urine. J AOAC International. 97:1730-1736.
- Ray, P., K.F. Knowlton, C. Shang, and K. Xia. 2014. Development and validation of a UPLC-MS/MS method to monitor cephapirin excretion in dairy cows following intramammary infusion. PLOS ONE. 9:1-12.
- Gunatilake, S. R., J. W Kwon, T. E. Mlsna, and K. Xia*. 2014. A novel approach to determine estrogenic hormones in swine lagoon wastewater using QuEChERS method combined with solid phase extraction, and LC/MS/MS analysis. Anal. Methods. 6:9267 - 9275.
- Fahrenfeld, N., K. Knowlton, L. A. Krometis, W. C. Hession, K. Xia, E. Lipscomb, K. Libuit, B. L. Green, A. Pruden. 2014. Effect of Manure Application on Abundance of Antibiotic Resistance Genes and their Attenuation Rates in Soil: Field-Scale Mass Balance Approach. Environ. Sci. Technol. 48:2643–2650.
- Li, J., G. Evanylo, K. Xia, J. Mao. 2013. Soil Carbon Characterization Ten to Fifteen Years after Organic Residuals Application: Carbon (1s) K-edge Near Edge X-ray Absorption Fine Structure (NEXAFS) Spectroscopy Study. Soil Science. 178:453-464.
- Gunatilake, S. R., S. Steelhammer, J. W. Kwon, J. Rodriguez, K. Xia, K. Armbrust, and T. E. Mlsna. 2013. Analysis of Estrogens in Wastewater using solid phase extraction, the QuECHERS cleanup, and liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. J. AOAC International. 96: 1440-1447.
- Keith A. Maruya, D. E. Vidal-Dorsch, S. M. Bay, J. W. Kwon, K. Xia, and K. L. Armbrust. 2012. Organic contaminants of emerging concern in sediments and flatfish collected near outfalls discharging treated wastewater effluent to the Southern California Bight. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 31:2683–2688.
- Xia, K.*, G. Hagood, C. Childers, J. Atkins, B. Rogers, L. Ware, K. Armbrust, J. Jewell, D. Diaz, N. Gatian, and H. Folmer. 2012. Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) in Mississippi Seafood from Areas Affected by the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill. Environ. Sci. Technol. 46:5310–5318.
- Diehl, J., S. E. Johnson, K. Xia, A. West, and L. Tomanek. 2012. The distribution of 4-nonylphenol in marine organisms of North American Pacific Coast estuaries. Chemosphere. 87:490–497.
- Kwon, J. W. and K. Xia*. 2012. Fate of Triclosan and Triclocarban in Soil Columns With and Without Biosolids Surface Application. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 31:262–269.
- Kelly, J. G., F. X. Han, Y. Su, Y. J. Xia, V. Philips, Z. Q. Shi, D. L. Monts, S. T. Pichardo, and K. Xia. 2012. Rapid Determination of Mercury in Contaminated Soil and Plant Samples Using Portable Mercury Direct Analyzer without Sample Preparation, a Comparative Study. Water Air Soil Pollut. 223:2361-2371.
- Tomanek, L., J.M. Diehl, S.E. Johnson, K. Xia, and S.J. Teh. 2010. Nonylphenol in marine organisms in North American estuaries: Trophic chain accumulation and proteomic responses. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology a-Molecular & Integrative Physiology 157:S47-S48.
- Liyanapatirana, C., S. Gwaltney, K. Xia*. 2010. Transformation of triclosan by Fe(III)-saturated montmorillonite. Environ. Sci. Technol. 44:668-674.
- Verma, K. S., K. Xia*. 2010. Analysis of triclosan and triclocarban in soil and biosolids using molecularly imprinted solid phase extraction (MISPE) coupled with HPLC/UV. J. AOAC International. 93:1313-21.
- Kwon, J. W., K. Xia*, Kevin L. Armbrust. 2010. Transformation of triclosan and triclocarban in soils and biosolids-applied soils. J. Environ. Qual. 39:1139–1144.
- K. Xia*, L. Hundal, K. Kumar, K. Armbrust, A. E. Cox, and T. C. Granato. 2010. Occurrence of TCC, TCS, PBDEs, and 4-NP in biosolids and in soil after 33 years of biosolids application. Environ. Toxico. Chem. 29:597–605.
- K, Xia*, J. Atkins, C. Foster, and K. Armbrust. 2010. Analysis of Cyromazine in Poultry Feed Using the QuEChERS Method Coupled with LC-MS/MS. J. Agricul. Food Chem. 58:5945–5949.
- Kwon, J. W., K. L. Armbrust, D. Vidal-Dorsch, S. M. Bay, K. Xia*. 2009. Determination of 17α-ethynylestradiol, carbamazepine, diazepam, simvastatin, and oxybenzone in fish livers. J. AOAC International. 92: 359-370.
- Williams, M. A., K. Xia. 2009. Characterization of the water soluble soil organic pool following the rewetting of dry soil in a drought prone tallgrass prairie. Soil Biology Biochem.41:21-28.
- K. Xia*, M. Luo, C. Lusk, K.L. Armbrust, L. Skinner, and R. Sloan. 2008. Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in biota representing different trophic levels of the Hudson River, New York: from 1999 to 2005. Environ. Sci. Technol. 42, 4331–4337.
- Das, K. C., and K. Xia*. 2008. Transformation of 4-Nonylphenol Isomers During Biosolids Composting. Chemosphere. 70:761-768.
- Butler, D.M., Franklin, D.H., Cabrera, M.L., Tasistro, A.S., Xia, K., West, L.T. 2008. Evaluating aeration techniques for decreasing phosphorus export from grasslands receiving manure. J. Environ. Qual. 37:1279 – 1287.
- Tasistro, A. S., M. L. Cabrera, Y. B. Zhao, D. E. Kissel, K. Xia, and D. H. Franklin. 2007. Soluble Phosphorus Released by Poultry Wastes in Acidified Aqueous Extracts. Comm. Soil Sci. Plant Ana. 38:1395-1410.
- Xia, K.*, A. Bhandari, K. Das, and G. D. Pillar. 2005. Occurrence and fate of Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products (PPCPs) in Biosolids. J. Environ. Qual.34:91-105.
- Fernando, N., and K. Xia*. 2005. Sorption and Desorption of Ammonium from Swine Lagoon Waste in Soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 69:1057-1065.
- Ferrell, J., B. K. Vencill, K. Xia, and T. Grey. 2005. Sorption and Desorption of Flumioxazin to Soil, Clay Minerals, and Ion-Exchange Resin. Pest Manag Sci. 61:40-46.
- Xia, K.*, and C. Y. Jeong. 2004. Photodegradation of endocrine-disrupting chemical 4-nonylphenol in biosolids applied to soil. J. Environ. Qual. 33: 1568-1574.
- Keller, H., K. Xia*, and A. Bhandari. 2003. Occurrence and transformation of estrogenic nonylphenol polyethoxylates and their metabolites in three northeast Kansas wastewater treatment plants. Practice Periodical of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste Management. 7:203-213.
- Xia, K.*, and G. Pierzyski. 2003. Competitive sorption between oxalate and phosphate in soil: an environmental chemistry laboratory using ion chromatography. J. Chem. Edu. 80:71-74.
- Skylberg, U., L. Qian, C. Frech, K. Xia, and W. Bleam. 2003. Distribution of mercury, methyl mercury and organic sulphur species in soil, soil solution and stream of a boreal forest catchment. Biogeochemistry. 64:53-76.
- Xia, K.*, and C. W. Rice. 2001. Association of ethylene dibromide (EDB) with mature cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) fruit. J. Agric. Food Chem. 49:1246-1252.
- Skyllberg, U., K. Xia, P. R. Bloom, E. A. Nater, and W. F. Bleam. 2000. Binding of mercury (II) to reduced sulfur in soil organic matter along upland-peat soil transects. J. Environ. Qual. 29:855-865.
- Starrett, S.K., A. Bhandari, and K. Xia. 1999. Pesticides and herbicides. Water Environ. Res. 71:853-860.
- Xia, K.*, W. F. Bleam, U. Skyllberg, P. R. Bloom, and E. A. Nater. 1999. XAS study of the binding of mercury (II) to reduced sulfur in soil organic matter. Environ. Sci. Techol. 33:257-261.
- Xia, K.*, F. Wessner, W. Bleam, P. R. Bloom, U. L. Skyllberg, and P. A. Helmke. 1998. XANES studies of oxidation states of S in soil and aquatic humic substances. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 62:1240-1246.
- Xia, K.*, R. W. Taylor, and W. F. Bleam. 1998. The distribution of Cu(II) on boehmite and silica surfaces: correlating EPR signal loss with the effective Bohr magneton number of sorbed ions. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 199:77-82.
- Xia, K.*, W, Bleam, and P. A. Helmke. 1997. Studies of the nature of Cu2+ and Pb2+ binding site in soil humic substances using X-ray absorption spectroscopy. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta. 61:2211-2221.
- Xia, K.*, W, Bleam, and P. A. Helmke. 1997. Studies of the nature of binding sites of first row transition elements bound to aquatic and soil humic substances using X-ray absorption spectroscopy. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta. 61:2222-2235.
- Xia, K.*, A. Ali R. W. Taylor, and W. Bleam. 1997. Xray absorption and electron paramagnetic resonance studies of Cu(II) on Silica: Surface induced precipitation at low surface coverages. J. Colloid Interface Sci. 185:252-257.